Characterization and Cleanup
The Department of Energy recognizes that there is contamination onsite that needs to be addressed and removed. Through comprehensive analysis and studies, DOE has mapped where the contamination is located and is close to finalizing the blueprint for cleaning up the site.
Multiple rounds of sampling by a number of independent agencies have all concluded that there is no offsite threat to human health from DOE’s former operations in Area IV. Extensive assessments have also ruled out any potential pathways for contamination to leave the site.
- Soil studies to identify chemical contamination and evaluate treatment options
- EPA radioactivity study to evaluate the extent of radiological contamination
- Ongoing groundwater monitoring of wells around Area IV
- Facility surveys for the buildings that remain onsite
- Environmental Impact Statement process for future remediation
- Waste management protocol for soil, equipment, supplies and building debris from Area IV